26 May 2009

A Headband for Regina

As Regina (my hairstylist) trimmed my hair, I flipped through the latest issue of InStyle Magazine. I paused. She, too, stopped cutting. Both our eyes were transfixed on a photo of a beautiful headband made of silk and taffeta. Then we saw the price -- $98! We both agreed that that was too much to pay for a headband! I told her that I could make her one. If she can do magic with a comb and a pair of scissors, I think I can do my own magic with a glue gun.

With this J. Crew headband as inspiration...

These fabric scraps from last week's T-shirt transformations...

And these headbands from Target's $1 dollar section...I'm ready to do some blah to Tada!

I cut a strip of fabric, sewed it together (left the ends open) and eased it onto the headband. It should fit like a glove. I closed the ends with hand stitching.

I cut more fabric scraps into petals.

Pile on the petals!


Bunch them up and sew them together to form a flower.

Attach the flower to the headband with a glue gun or needle & thread
and Tada!: high fashion without the high price.

I even made one in Regina's favorite color!
I hope she likes them!

23 comments:

  1. you're so talented! I think I'm going to copy this idea too...surely not with as good results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she'll love them! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Siouxsie -- it's so easy & you can add as many flowers as you want =)

    Hi Dani...thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Claire thanks for visiting my blog . I've been looking at yours and you are very clever I've enjoyed your posts , thankyou .

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tuto, the inspiration is great and the result also !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Clare & Isabelle - welcome to my blog! Thanks for saying hi =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi claire! thanks for visiting. i love your blog! you are so creative. i´m off to read more.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Claire, thanks for your comment. I love this DIY headband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jane & So Alaurable! Thank you for the visit =)Feel free to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claire, you know I am a fan of yours :) you have done some pretty amazing stuff here but this headband is a masterpiece!!! I am LOVIN it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nuit! THANK YOU for always stopping by! This headband is so easy to make (even without a sewing machine)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so clever! - I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi A Life More Fabulous! I'm glad you found a little inspiration right here in my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Rosa! Hope you're ready to make lots of headbands!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! i am going to make a few for me and my daughter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for visiting Tammy! You can make more and give them away as presents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful . . . u r sooooo creative

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the way you use all pieces of a project!! That is very economical. GeorgiaAnn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!