23 June 2014

Sprucing up the Balcony

It's officially summer in the East Coast and I'm doing cartwheels! This season calls for a relaxed pace, dressing down, and dining alfresco. 

We have a small balcony in our apartment with a picturesque view of the George Washington Bridge. I want to spend more time here that's why I'm embarking on a "Balcony: blah to TADA!" project.

Right now, there's a bunch of old furniture hanging out there (I can't help it if I don't want to throw them away!).

There's this side table that finds history in my husband's bachelor pad. So blah.

I cleaned it up, sanded it down, and covered it with several coats of black paint. I figured black paint would cover its flaws and be appropriate for an outdoor piece.

Here's the same table, looking all sleek. TADA!

And then there's this large picture frame that I saved from the trash. I guess the owner got rid of it because it no longer has its glass front. Well picture frame, I'm here to adopt you. Come to momma.

I'm turning you into inexpensive art.

A good excuse to visit the fabric store in New York's fashion district. Geez, so many choices!

On a whim, I chose this floral fabric. It's cheery and summery. Since I'm putting this outside, the black background will hide the dust. I can easily swap it into something more graphic when the season changes.

And here it is -- instant wall art! The frame was free and the fabric, $5.00 a yard (and I only used 1/2 a yard). Talk about a cheap thrill...TADA!

This is just the first part of my balcony transformation. I'll keep you posted on my work in progress.

In the meantime, have a beautiful start of the week!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool tadas! I especially like the fabric art frame idea!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!